Unless you have been living under a rock for the last 5 years or so, you have heard of Apple. Not the fruit that got Adam and Eve in trouble, but the computer and mobile phone juggernaut that has taken the world by storm. Their fist quarter earnings results were just posted yesterday, and it’s almost too unbelievable to be true.
Apple has changed the face of personal computing, smart phones, digital music as well as the way business is done around the world. According to Mashable earnings numbers:
- Apple sold 37 million iPhones in the quarter, a 128% jump over the comparable quarter in 2010.
- iPad sales hit 15.4 million, a rise of 111%.
- Mac sales were 5.2 million, an increase of 26%.
- Apple sold 15.4 million iPods, a number which is down 21% as the iPhone cannibalizes sales of more limited-function devices.
- Apple now has $97.6 billion in cash on hand.
- Revenues from iTunes hit $1.7 billion. More than 140 million apps and pieces of content were downloaded on Dec. 25.
- There are 1.5 million iPads being used by educational institutions.
- iCloud has 85 million users. There are now 550,000 apps available. Developers of such apps have earned more than $4 billion, $700 million in Q1.
- Apple Stores produced $6.1 billion in revenues for the quarter. The average revenue per store was $17.1 million vs. $12 million last year. There are about 22,000 visitors per store per week.
- Apple’s revenues for the quarter were higher than the company’s revenues for its entire fiscal 2009.
Again, keep in mind that this is for a 3 MONTH period. Not a year or 2 years, 3 months. It’s absolutely staggering.
Let’s review a couple of these metrics. 37 million iPhones and 15.4 million iPads. That’s over 52 MILLION mobile devices that entered the marketplace. On Christmas Day alone (just one day) there were 140 MILLION apps and other pieces of content downloaded. The developers of those apps earned $700 Million just in those 3 months.
Here at mojosocialmedia.com and JiffyHits.com, we are passionate about educating and helping businesses and services of all sizes on how to utilize mobile platforms to maximize profitability. As of only about 5-6 years ago, mobile apps did not exist. They are now a unique stream of revenue for thousands of people. $4 billion was earned by app developers. If these apps were not solid successful platforms for business, do you think they would have earned so much in such a short time?
It’s sometimes difficult to change the way you do business. Just think of the way the basic PC changed the office environment. It’s rare, but you hardly hear people today saying that a PC has made their business less profitable. The same goes for mobile apps and digital marketing. These new platforms are not only revolutionizing the way business is done, but they also are streamlining the process and making businesses more efficient. Isn’t that a good thing?
Traditional marketing such as print ads, radio commercials, and bulk mailers are usually pretty pricey and their success is incredibly hard to measure. What type of analytics do you get from them? Little if any. But utilizing the incredible technologies that are available and harnessing their power to reach your audience with a custom message about your business is just how it’s done today.
Think about it. There are after these 3 months, 52 million more ways to reach a potential client. It’s up to you to get yourself in front of those eyeballs. It’s a whole new business world. Don’t get stuck in the dark ages.
For more information on digital and social media marketing, as well as mobile app development, please contact Mike Zimmerman at 209-645-8092.